[llvm-dev] [RFC] Lanai backend

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 10 14:12:40 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 10 February 2016 at 17:41, Philip Reames via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > 1) This is a highly visible clue as to what Google is running internally
> > (admittedly, we don't know for what).  Given how secretive companies
> tend to
> > be about such things, providing an incentive (upstreaming) to talk
> publicly
> > about internal infrastructure is valuable.  I could see that being very
> > useful to academics evaluating hardware ideas for instance.
>
> It may be just me, but I'm not even remotely interested in what
> companies are doing behind closed doors.
>
> AFAICS, this move is just cost saving to Google, which is ok, but
> let's not make it more than it really is.

Actually, let me address this:

This move is because we think it's the right thing to do to get another
team involved in LLVM development.
If it was just cost saving, i would have told the team not to do it, and
would have in fact, not let them do it.