[llvm-dev] [RFC] Lanai backend

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 10 10:08:25 PST 2016

On 02/10/2016 09:58 AM, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 10 February 2016 at 17:41, Philip Reames via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> 1) This is a highly visible clue as to what Google is running internally
>> (admittedly, we don't know for what).  Given how secretive companies tend to
>> be about such things, providing an incentive (upstreaming) to talk publicly
>> about internal infrastructure is valuable.  I could see that being very
>> useful to academics evaluating hardware ideas for instance.
> It may be just me, but I'm not even remotely interested in what
> companies are doing behind closed doors.
I am.  Others are as well.

> AFAICS, this move is just cost saving to Google, which is ok, but
> let's not make it more than it really is.
This comes across as if you think I'm trying to mislead the discussion
I reject that interpretation strongly.

To be very clear, I don't work for Google.  I raised a legitimate point
which you may disagree with, but please don't twist my argument into
something it wasn't.

Philip