[llvm-dev] [RFC] Lanai backend

Alexei Starovoitov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 10 07:30:18 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On 10 February 2016 at 06:44, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> But I also see another option, which someone else mentioned up-thread:
>> simply make only the regression tests be supported. Without a regression
>> test case that exhibits a bug, no reverts or other complaints. It would be
>> entirely up to the maintainer to find and reduce such test cases from any
>> failure of execution tests out-of-tree.
>
> IMHO, it's about transparency and commitment.
>
> For experimental back-ends (like BPF), what you describe is perfectly
> fine. If we wanted BPF to be official, I'd personally only accept it
> if there was at least one buildbot with a minimal domain-specific set
> of tests. In the BPF case, I'd expect a Linux booting and running some
> arbitrary code expecting a certain result. In a hardware-simile, like
> your back-end, I'd expect some generic code to be compiled and run
> successfully, strongly biased to getting the test-suite running on it.

BPF backend has been the first class citizen for a year or so.
All major linux distros ship llvm with it turned on.
(unlike some other backends)
BPF buildbot processes more commits than arm64 :)
buildername                                               | completed
| failed | time
 clang-aarch64-lnt                                         |
44 |     21 | 02:25:25
 clang-atom-d525-fedora                                    |
136 |    130 | 09:02:23
 clang-atom-d525-fedora-rel                                |
146 |    117 | 01:57:06
 clang-bpf-build                                           |
311 |     32 | 00:03:29
 clang-cmake-aarch64-42vma                                 |
150 |     31 | 00:47:52
 clang-cmake-aarch64-full                                  |
50 |     15 | 03:38:37
 clang-cmake-aarch64-quick                                 |
162 |     36 | 00:43:11