[llvm-dev] Suggestion to Stop Cross Posting Discussions

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 11 15:43:22 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2016, at 9:55 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 2:28 AM Renato Golin via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> On 7 July 2016 at 03:39, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>> > Sorry, I meant to say that issues like “move to github” would be on
>> topic for the list.  The addition of a new mailing list certainly doesn’t
>> affect how key decisions in the project are made.
>>
>> Perfect! I'm glad everyone is in agreement. I think it makes sense to
>> move those things out of the dev list and to make it clear that, if
>> you care about the project/s, you should be on that list. :)
>>

> FWIW, I'm not in agreement.
>
> I think having yet another mailing list is a dramatically worse solution
> than simply fixing our mailing list system to allow subscribers to any of
> the lists post to all of the lists.
>

> The big problem I see with this is you'd also need to modify the mailing
> system to ensure that all replies on the thread CC the off-list people who
> contribute to it. That gets really complicated when threads go through
> renaming or get munged by mail clients not respecting MIME headers.
>
> I think an "llvm-project" mailing list that implicitly includes everyone
> on all the "*-dev" lists is a reasonably safe solution to the problem, even
> if it does mean one more mailing list to filter.

FWIW, having it automatically be the union of *-dev list members would
somewhat reduce my concerns about "yet another mailing list". It would
become just a mechanical way to simulate cross-posting.

That said, I expect cross-posting to continue when there are issues of
shared interest to a subset of the projects. The classical examples are
clang/llvm interactions, but I can't imagine they're the only issues.

So even if we have an llvm-project list or anything similar, I'd really
love it if we could fix the immediate pain felt by admins in the face of
cross-posting.