[llvm-dev] False positive notifications around commit notifications

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 11 10:56:44 PDT 2021

Here's a fun one: https://lab.llvm.org/buildbot/#/builders/164/builds/3428
- a buildbot failure with a single blame (me) - but I hadn't committed in
the last few days, so I was confused. Turns out its from a change committed
3 months ago - and the failure is a timeout.

Given the number of buildbot timeout false positives, I honestly wouldn't
be averse to saying timeouts shouldn't produce fail-mail & are the
responsibility of buildbot owners to triage. I realize we can actually
submit code that leads to timeouts, but on balance that seems rare compared
to the number of times its a buildbot configuration issue instead. (though
open to debate on that for sure)