[llvm-dev] False positive notifications around commit notifications

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 11 12:06:59 PDT 2021

Am Mo., 11. Okt. 2021 um 12:57 Uhr schrieb David Blaikie via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:
> Here's a fun one: https://lab.llvm.org/buildbot/#/builders/164/builds/3428 - a buildbot failure with a single blame (me) - but I hadn't committed in the last few days, so I was confused. Turns out its from a change committed 3 months ago - and the failure is a timeout.
>
> Given the number of buildbot timeout false positives, I honestly wouldn't be averse to saying timeouts shouldn't produce fail-mail & are the responsibility of buildbot owners to triage. I realize we can actually submit code that leads to timeouts, but on balance that seems rare compared to the number of times its a buildbot configuration issue instead. (though open to debate on that for sure)

Wow, that bot does not collapse buildrequests and is indeed 3 months
behind due to not being fast enough to keep up with LLVM's commit
rate. Even if the bot was reliable, getting notified 3 months later
isn't useful.
>From the wildly varying duration the test step takes (5 - 33 minutes;
not the build step, it is doing incremental builds), I assume that the
worker is running other things in parallel, maybe another worker, such
that the buildjob sometimes is starving and causing the timeout. IMHO
buildbots should not run other heavy jobs in parallel.

Michael