[llvm-dev] False positive notifications around commit notifications

Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 6 04:08:07 PDT 2021

I wonder if it would be possible to make some recommendations for
improvements based on data rather than our collective anecdotal experience.
Much as anyone else, I feel that the vast majority of the failure emails I
get are not related, but I would have a lot of trouble quantifying it any
better than a "gut feeling".

Would it be possible to somehow acquire historical data from buildbots to
help identify things that can improve. Perhaps:
- Bot failures where none of the commits were reverted before the bot went
back to green
- For those failures, collect the test cases that failed - those might be
flaky test cases if they show up frequently and/or on multiple bots
- For bots that have many such instances (especially with different test
cases every time), perhaps the bot itself is somehow flaky

This is definitely an annoying problem that has significant consequences
(real failures being missed due to many false failures), but it is a
difficult problem to solve.