[llvm-dev] Proposal: introduce dependency on abseil when building benchmarks

Mircea Trofin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 7 09:19:55 PDT 2021

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 9:12 AM Renato Golin <rengolin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 17:01, Mircea Trofin <mtrofin at google.com> wrote:
>
>> Unless people that actually build and run benchmarks have agreed with
>>> your proposal, you should not merge a clear breaking change.
>>>
>> One of the goals of this thread was identifying who those folks may be.
>>

> And yet, you propose to follow through if no one objected. Which is never
> a good idea for breaking changes.

To be clear, the fact they are breaking changes is what we're trying to
determine. It was my intention to spur attention to the thread (given the
silence), and providing a timeline can help.

It's really easy to miss an email like this and it's just out of luck that
>>> I didn't.
>>>
>> Is there a more appropriate channel of communication where owners could
>> be identified?
>>

> No, this is the right place.
>
> But you either wait for people to find this thread (however long it
> takes), or you actively search for them (as I outlined before) and include
> them in the conversation, for example, CC'ing them in the thread.

Yup, but they need to be identified first (i.e. a bit of a catch 22 if no
one replies)