[llvm-dev] IMPORTANT: LLVM Bugzilla migration

Fangrui Song via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 22 16:34:04 PST 2021

On 2021-11-22, Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev wrote:
>> If we can attribute it to an anonymous entity, e.g. by putting "Anonymous LLVM Contributor 123 wrote:" at the top of a comment by llvmbot, at least readers can understand whether two comments on a bug are from the same person or from different people, for example. Can we at least do something like that?
>We do this for issues. They are marked as submitted by "LLVM Bugzilla
>Contributor".
>
>> And, if such a problem exists, I think we ought to address that problem before migration.
>They had more than half a year to submit a survey and received
>multiple notifications. We are not going to delay the migration due to
>this.
>
>> I very much doubt it's true that everyone who cares will have filled it out already. I mean, just speaking for myself...I think I filled out the form? But maybe I only intended to, but forgot to get around to it? Who knows. Assuming I actually did, I'm certain there are more people in the same situation who actually did _not_.
>Well, you can simply go and submit it once again. We will certainly
>take care of dups.
>
>> Some other questions that pop into my mind:
>Great! Thanks for the questions. Probably they should have asked 2
>years ago. You will be able to check the results by yourself after the
>migration.

Thank for all your hard work! This issue tracker system has been a pain
for so many people for years.

I think having a small-scale review of the post-migration github
repository can be very useful. It can be 1% (or larger?) of the current
~53000 issues. People will have some idea what the repository will look
like, e.g. what portion of issues are anonymous.

> James: I imagine it'd be pretty easy for folks to forget that they didn't fill out the sheet, since there's no way to verify whether you did or not."

Agree. Deep Majumder asked the requestion in the thread. A colleague of
mine asked the same question.

I just visited the Bugzilla / GitHub username mapping form and re-submitted my mapping
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdUSCK-Rgl9H-8Ua0yat1KL1yELChxkJk15SfhnwPnIexTQUw/viewform
There is no email confirmation.

A contributor may have multiple email addresses. They may not submit
their bugzilla email address or they may miss the notification to their
not-regularly-used email address (possible due to closed registration for
a long time).

Yesterday I read
https://blog.llvm.org/posts/2021-11-18-relicensing-update/ and notified
3 friends who were on the long-tail spreadsheet. Two of them are still
contributing and told me that they missed the email notification because they
had changed their primary email address. I am going to ask them whether
they have submitted the mapping form...

I think bugs.llvm.org has a local patch to display the banner:
"New user self-registration is disabled due to spam. For an account please email bugs-admin at lists.llvm.org with your e-mail address and full name."

Could the banner be toggled a bit to remind the user and show the Bugzilla / GitHub usernam mapping if submitted?