[llvm-dev] Add AddressSanitizer support for VxWorks OS

Min-Yih Hsu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 9 23:31:45 PST 2021

> On Dec 10, 2021, at 10:23 AM, Deng, Wenbin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I am from WindRiver company. We plan to submit patches to add AddressSanitizer support for VxWorks Operating System. The patches are mainly included in the folder “compiler-rt/lib/sanitizer_common” and “compiler-rt/lib/asan”.  Related changes are being reviewed internally.
>
> Since this is an extension to the existing Operating System support and include quite a few changes, I think the contribution will belong to “Bigger Pieces of Work <https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html#bigger-pieces-of-work>”.
>
> I am new to the LLVM community. Could someone tell me what should I prepare, such as
>
> the patch requirement?
Since you’ve been reading the “Contributing to LLVM” page, I think the “How to Submit a Patch” has provided some high-level guidelines. Basically the requirements are pretty straight forward: clang-format the code, make sure the test cases are included, split the patch into multiple Phab reviews if it’s too big, and tag people to review.

> what kind of test case needed?

For ASAN unit tests are required, and usually LIT tests will also be written to show your patch works end-to-end.
> If I need run any existing CI test in advance?

We don’t require CI passing ahead of time, but in this case I think there needs to be a CI bot covering this part after the changes are committed, since it’s dealing with a specific operating system.
I think this is a good starting point if there hasn’t been a bot for your OS: https://llvm.org/docs/HowToAddABuilder.html <https://llvm.org/docs/HowToAddABuilder.html>

Best,
-Min