[llvm-dev] Anyone doing code reviews via mailing lists?

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 23 10:25:58 PDT 2021

If you want to propose this, please move it to a top level thread for
visibility.

(My thoughts inline to help you refine your proposal.)

On 4/23/21 9:55 AM, Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev wrote:

> I think we should phase-out email reviews in favor of doing it
> directly via Phabricator.
>
> My reasons:
>
>  1. Phabricator allows for both pre- and post-commit reviews.  You can
>     “raise concern” with any commit, including those that did not have
>     a pre-commit review on phab.
>  2. The email-phabricator integration is still deficient despite a lot
>     of effort having been put into it.  Moreover, it’s not likely that
>     it will ever be fully functional.
>  3. Email communication is “fragile”. This one is based more on my
>     personal experience, but even simply following a discussion on
>     llvm-dev has been difficult.  I now have to use Outlook (corporate
>     reasons…) and Outlook fails at keeping email threads together.
>      Replies to the same tread are scattered into a mini-forest
>     instead staying as a single tree.  There are issues with every
>     email client formatting the replies differently: top-post mixed
>     with bottom-post mixed with inline text, with people quoting 500
>     lines of text only to insert a single-line response, and so on,
>     and so forth. Some of it is due to my use of Outlook, some of it
>     is independent from it.  This “infinite flexibility” of email
>     structure is the reason why I doubt that the Phabricator
>     integration will ever work.

Phabricator is also fragile unfortunately.  I find phabricators inline
discussions to be very hard to follow for anything which becomes
involved.  As such, I tend to default to phab, but quickly move to email
if discussion gets complicated.

>  1. Phabricator’s interface makes every review look the same, is
>     readable, and doesn’t make it easy to unintentionally clutter it
>     with junk.

As someone with vision restrictions, please be careful about this line
of argument.  One of the major advantages of email is that I can use my
own client at whatever zoom/scale I want.  Phab "sorta works" from an
accessibility perspective, but frankly is inferior to plain old email.
I frequently end up reading phabricator emails, and then replying
through the web interface.

I'm just point this out because I find that visual appear is often rated
much more highly by some folks than others. Personally, functionality is
pretty much the only thing I care about.