[llvm-dev] Anyone doing code reviews via mailing lists?

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 23 09:55:31 PDT 2021

I think we should phase-out email reviews in favor of doing it directly via Phabricator.

My reasons:

  1.  Phabricator allows for both pre- and post-commit reviews.  You can “raise concern” with any commit, including those that did not have a pre-commit review on phab.
  2.  The email-phabricator integration is still deficient despite a lot of effort having been put into it.  Moreover, it’s not likely that it will ever be fully functional.
  3.  Email communication is “fragile”. This one is based more on my personal experience, but even simply following a discussion on llvm-dev has been difficult.  I now have to use Outlook (corporate reasons…) and Outlook fails at keeping email threads together.  Replies to the same tread are scattered into a mini-forest instead staying as a single tree.  There are issues with every email client formatting the replies differently: top-post mixed with bottom-post mixed with inline text, with people quoting 500 lines of text only to insert a single-line response, and so on, and so forth.  Some of it is due to my use of Outlook, some of it is independent from it.  This “infinite flexibility” of email structure is the reason why I doubt that the Phabricator integration will ever work.
  4.  Phabricator’s interface makes every review look the same, is readable, and doesn’t make it easy to unintentionally clutter it with junk.
     *   Finally, it seems like nowadays it’s easier to create a Phabricator account than to sign up to the mailing lists…

--
Krzysztof Parzyszek  kparzysz at quicinc.com<mailto:kparzysz at quicinc.com>   AI tools development