[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `job` in source code?

Denis Antrushin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 25 01:46:24 PDT 2020

On 25.06.2020 01:19, Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev wrote:
> On 6/21/20 10:41 PM, Ivan Kush via llvm-dev wrote:
>> Yes, broad. But what guys say: "You LLVM developers are all racists, because you use 'master' word"
>> Or broader: "You  all developers are all racists, because you use 'master' word". We are not racists, but other guys think so.
>> So let's begin consistent and take into account all nations and languages. Not only Americans.
>> Работа/Job contains a root Раб/Slave.
>> https://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B0
>> If we want completely eradicate a word Slave we should take into account all nations and languages!
>> You say that removing 'master' you won't mention Slave, but in Russia leaving a Job could mean Slave
> Being a native Russian and being kinda proud of my feeling of the language, I find this statement (Job could mean Slave) rather strange...

Are you uninclusive racist or what?
I just don't see the difference between you not seeing negative context of "Работа" and native English
speakers not seeing negative context of "master".
[ BTW, I feel great pain when you send me to do my work. :-P ]

Of course, as a native Russian speaker you understand sarcastic context here, I believe.
Does "Master of Science" (Science is enslaved!) is offensive? "Remastered Edition" (poor edition?)?
Or "Black Hole" (disclaimer: this is astronomical term, not insult)?
If not, why "master branch" is?
Are we going to ban all words having any negative meanings?

```
  If you have a word like “good”, what need is there for a word like “bad”? “Ungood” will do just as well
```

1984