[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `job` in source code?

antlists via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 22 02:59:03 PDT 2020

On 21/06/2020 21:53, Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev wrote:

>     So let's begin consistent and take into account all nations and
>     languages. Not only Americans.
>

> As a European, I'm sensitive to the "american centric" view that is
> taken of many of these topics by the way. Also the use of English as the
> common language makes it maybe too easy to under-estimate the cultural
> differences.

Speaking English, not American, I'm *extremely* sensitive to those
differences. And at this rate, we'll run out of words...

You know the story of the Vauxhall/Ope/Chevrolet Nova? Or the Rolls
Royce Silver Mist? It's far too easy for an innocuous word in one
language to mean something unfortunate in another.

And IMHO this is simply the Politically Correct And Morally Superior
brigade running around trying to be seen to be doing something, that's
not going to improve matters and may well make them worse.

When we've had this problem, what with ISIS and Islam and all that, it's
been very noticeable that we have had White Christians saying "we
nustn't do this that and the other in case we offend them", and we've
had their leaders saying "for ... sake stop telling us what we do and
don't want, you're making matters worse".

There's a massive thread on LWN, and there's a lot of kickback from
people like me who think this is stupid. The blacks don't care about the
word "master", the Slavs don't care about the word "slave" (note that
those last two are etymologically the same word!!!), why the f... are
White Americans making such a fuss, other than to seize the moral high
ground?

This is an *American* issue, driven by an *American* problem, and I
think all this is just headless chickens trying to "do something" and
causing chaos in the process.

At the end of the day, NOBODY seems to be listening to the people who
are actually allegedly "affected" by the issue.

Cheers,
Wol