[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `job` in source code?

Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 24 15:19:49 PDT 2020

On 6/21/20 10:41 PM, Ivan Kush via llvm-dev wrote:
> Yes, broad. But what guys say: "You LLVM developers are all racists,
> because you use 'master' word"
> Or broader: "You  all developers are all racists, because you use
> 'master' word". We are not racists, but other guys think so.
> So let's begin consistent and take into account all nations and
> languages. Not only Americans.
> Работа/Job contains a root Раб/Slave.
> https://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B0
> If we want completely eradicate a word Slave we should take into
> account all nations and languages!
> You say that removing 'master' you won't mention Slave, but in Russia
> leaving a Job could mean Slave
Being a native Russian and being kinda proud of my feeling of the
language, I find this statement (Job could mean Slave) rather strange...

The word "Работа" in Russian does not have any despising semantical
connotation derived from slavery.
It is easy to figure out just by reading the part of the page you quoted
named "Семантические свойства" (semantical characteristics).
It is all about work, job, labor, creativity (and a science term). No
single mention of slavery or forced labor.

"Root" is just the origin where the word started from, perhaps centuries
ago. It is quite common that words do change their meaning
through these centuries.

If you take a look at all the words that have "-раб-" root in it you
will find:
   раз-раб-отчик == developer
   раз-раб-отка == development
   об-раб-отка == handling
etc

I would prefer to be allowed to do my job and be proud of it, and to
call my fellow developers - developers.

thank you very much,
   Fedor.