[llvm-dev] Proposal for CIRCT incubator project

Stephen Neuendorffer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 5 08:45:38 PDT 2020

Thanks Hal,

The front-end question is still a tricky one.  Having a low level CDFG in
MLIR doesnt really offer much and I see rebuilding the clang code generator
to emit loops directly in MLIR as a complex piece of work.  I think the
most natural place to interact with Vivado HLS is towards the backend at
the moment where MLIR could give more points of interaction late in the HLS
flow.  Eventually the community will sort out the front-end questions do
tackling that hasn't been high on my list.  Simply rebuilding HLS flows is
also not necessarily the goal here, although it's a natural place to
start.  From a Xilinx perspective we also have heterogeneous devices with
lots of vector VLIW cores.  Integrating them into an HLS-like flow is also
very interesting.

Steve