[llvm-dev] Proposal for CIRCT incubator project

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 5 08:28:07 PDT 2020

Hi, Steve,

I think it would be great to have hardware-synthesis capabilities in the
LLVM project. The incubation process discussion may be ongoing, but as
that settles, this seems like a good candidate to me.

Out of curiosity, many existing HLS tools use C/C++-derived input
languages, and as Clang produces LLVM, do you have any plans for a
converter between LLVM and your MLIR dialects? Or are you just targeting
other kinds of frontends?

Thanks again,

Hal

On 7/4/20 5:29 PM, Stephen Neuendorffer via llvm-dev wrote:

> For the past several months, members of the ‘CIRCT’ group have been
> working to begin adapting MLIR for hardware design.  We believe that
> this area would benefit from good open source infrastructure enabling
> research and, eventually, the next generation of commercial tools.  We
> have collected several dialects and envision a number of lowering
> flows using these dialects.  We have reached the point where we are
> ready to share our ideas more widely and would like to be considered
> as an LLVM incubator project.
> Our code exists at https://github.com/circt
> <https://github.com/circt>as an out-of-tree MLIR project and our group
> charter can be found at
> https://github.com/circt/circt/blob/master/README.md
> <https://github.com/circt/circt/blob/master/README.md>.   We have
> weekly discussions with a group of about 20 people from Xilinx,
> SiFive, Microsoft, PNNL, ETH Zurich, EPFL, Stanford, and Cornell, and
> welcome additional contributions.  This project is still early and we
> see many elements as highly experimental.  At the same time, we feel
> that the only way to vet these ideas is to build larger systems which
> will likely take some time and community investment. The LLVM
> incubator process would be a good way to help us organize this effort.
>
> Steve Neuendorffer
> Xilinx Research Labs

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility