[llvm-dev] Code of Conduct Next Steps - Community feedback needed

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 17 14:11:53 PST 2020

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 at 17:52, Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> The LLVM Code of Conduct has been in draft mode for several years now. In order to finalize the Code of Conduct, there are 3 steps left to complete:

Hi Tanya,

I've added my comments to the documents, but I agree with David, we
should use the standard review tools we have for text, like we did
before. Google Docs not only needs agreements but it can also be
confusing to review if you're not used to.

> The LLVM Foundation board will propose the initial members of this committee and provide a period of time to collect feedback from members of the community.

It's very important that this committee is diverse and inclusive. We
should be looking for inclusion in all areas: gender, ethnicity,
corporate/academia/hobbyist, sub-projects, disability, geographical
location, etc.

The CoC is not about code, but about behaviour and interpretation, so
the committee needs to be more than just heavy coders. But it can
directly affect coders, and subsequently, the code.

Therefore, it also cannot be random people from the Internet, just
because they have done something in other projects. They need to be
directly engaged into LLVM long term, either with code, research,
infrastructure, documentation, conferences, etc.

I'd also be more comfortable with a large number of potential people,
where sub-committees get selected as a small sub-set. If the same
people make the decisions for all cases, the bias would be incredible.
We need to make sure that we have enough people to be able to create
sub-committees with enough members and still have a balanced
(incomplete) block design, to ensure fairness.

Finally, my own personal issue is with mental health and disability.
How will you make sure that someone on the committee understands
(either through experience or clinical knowledge) the intricate
details of the common causes of misinterpreted behaviour in
non-neurotypical or with temporary/permanent poor mental health state?
Not many people identify themselves as clearly as I do, but they
suffer the same nonetheless. Without that covered, we may be
alienating an important part of our community.

cheers,
--renato