[llvm-dev] Code of Conduct Next Steps - Community feedback needed

Wols Lists via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 19 02:36:27 PST 2020

On 17/02/20 22:11, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:
> Finally, my own personal issue is with mental health and disability.
> How will you make sure that someone on the committee understands
> (either through experience or clinical knowledge) the intricate
> details of the common causes of misinterpreted behaviour in
> non-neurotypical or with temporary/permanent poor mental health state?
> Not many people identify themselves as clearly as I do, but they
> suffer the same nonetheless. Without that covered, we may be
> alienating an important part of our community.

Plus one. Take a look at the recent CoC thread on lilypond-devel

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2020-02/msg00387.html

(sorry, there are several thread-breaking email clients there ... :-(

You'll see the issue there is that (a) the lead developer - an NNT - saw
it (the punishment stuff) as a personal attack, and (b) that like *most*
NNTs, his natural reaction to conflict is to walk away. The result would
likely be serious collateral damage to the project.

My personal take is that if you punish someone for WHAT they are, it's
discrimination. End of. Including NNTs. If someone *chooses* to be an
asshole then ban them. But if an NNT doesn't realise it then you need to
be a mentor and fix it - again, NNTs usually want to put things right.

And given that NNTs tend to be the most productive, most caring, most
conscientious workers then yes you will be alienating the most important
part of the community.

Cheers,
Wol
(self-diagnosed Aspergers)