[llvm-dev] RFC: Contributing Bazel BUILD files in the "peripheral" support tier

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Dec 5 20:16:58 PST 2020

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 10:01 PM Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 12:42 AM Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry I don't quite get what you mean here and it is quite confusing to
> me: if you don't oppose the policy, that means you don't have an issue with
> it?
>
> I think I've already explained it. I don't have an issue with the
> policy because the policy does not address my main concern.
> My main concern - already stated today, and several weeks ago - is the
> open-ended proliferation of build system files.

> > I don't quite get how the policy is irrelevant.
>
> It doesn't address the concern I expressed above. It's the same
> concern I raised back on October.

Maybe we're not reading the same thing, it says:

"The peripheral tier is composed of: [...] Alternative build systems (ex.
GN, Bazel) and related infrastructure.".

Isn't this addressing your general objection to a "proliferation of build
system files"?

> > Right, but you're also objecting to GN being in-tree if I understand
> correctly (I'm not sure I understand you correctly though, since you just
> wrote above you don't oppose the policy).
>
> I do not agree with the GN files being in-tree - for the same reasons
> I object to the Bazel files - but, unlike the Bazel files,  GN is an
> accomplished fact at this point. Contrary to other statements made
> here, the GN files appeared in the LLVM tree relatively recently.
>
> At any rate, I am perfectly aware that the Bazel files will end up in
> the LLVM tree.
>
> You asked for objections to be re-stated, I re-stated mine.

Right, thanks for that.
I noted that you object about the principle of adding build system files by
itself (which is something mentioned in the policy as stated above). I
haven't noted though a particular concern of your that would be specific
about Bazel or anything specific that is proposed here.

Best,

--
Mehdi