[llvm-dev] RFC: Contributing Bazel BUILD files in the "peripheral" support tier

Stefan Teleman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 22:00:50 PST 2020

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 12:42 AM Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry I don't quite get what you mean here and it is quite confusing to me: if you don't oppose the policy, that means you don't have an issue with it?

I think I've already explained it. I don't have an issue with the
policy because the policy does not address my main concern.
My main concern - already stated today, and several weeks ago - is the
open-ended proliferation of build system files.

> I don't quite get how the policy is irrelevant.

It doesn't address the concern I expressed above. It's the same
concern I raised back on October.

> Right, but you're also objecting to GN being in-tree if I understand correctly (I'm not sure I understand you correctly though, since you just wrote above you don't oppose the policy).

I do not agree with the GN files being in-tree - for the same reasons
I object to the Bazel files - but, unlike the Bazel files,  GN is an
accomplished fact at this point. Contrary to other statements made
here, the GN files appeared in the LLVM tree relatively recently.

At any rate, I am perfectly aware that the Bazel files will end up in
the LLVM tree.

You asked for objections to be re-stated, I re-stated mine.

--
Stefan Teleman
stefan.teleman at gmail.com