[llvm-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 28 07:05:12 PDT 2019

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 19:35, Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > - You can subscribe to notification emails on an individual issue.
> > - Someone else can CC you on an individual issue to get your attention,
> and you will get notifications from that (unless you opt-out).
> > - No emails will be sent to mailto:llvm-bugs at llvm.org for github issues.
> > - There is no builtin way for users to subscribe to emails for bugs that
> have a given label (for example, all "clang" issues, or all x86 issues).
>
> That last is really unfortunate.  Someone only interested in (say) LLDB
> issues would have to subscribe to all notifications and hope that there are
> enough breadcrumbs in a new issue to be able to do accurate email
> filtering.  It would be better to handle this in the bug tracker itself.
> Last year Kristof Beyls and I did a BoF on bug handling, and my memory is
> that a nonzero number of people were willing to be auto-CC'd on particular
> topics but did not want to subscribe to llvm-bugs.  This description of the
> github tracker means that would not be feasible, which is a step backwards.
> I can anticipate a counter-argument which is that someone can easily
> search for bugs with particular tags.  I claim that's not equivalent,
> because it requires action on the part of the person to go look for things,
> and that happens only when the person thinks of doing it.  Computers should
> automate the tedious parts, like alerting the people who are interested in
> issues with a particular tag.
>
> --paulr

+1. I'm very interested in being automatically subscribed to issues in a
very limited set of tools. I'm currently auto-subscribed on the
corresponding bugzilla components and actively look at any new issues on
those tools, usually within 24 hours, even if I don't respond to them all.
I would be unlikely to remember to refresh a search anywhere near as
frequently, and I've found getting my emails to filter correctly to be
easier said than done. I don't think it's a blocker to migration
necessarily, especially if the majority of people support migration (I
personally am ambivalent, aside from this point), but I do think this
workflow should be a priority in resolving.

James