[llvm-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues

Kristof Beyls via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 28 03:51:13 PDT 2019

I'd like to add support for moving to github issues sooner rather than
later. Not having to manually create bugzilla user accounts both gives me
back some time in my day (not that important) and eliminates some of the
barriers for new contributors to file or contribute to bug reports (really
important).

My 2 cents to add (which I forgot at the round table) is that in general,
we probably do a poor job at triaging or acknowledging new bugs that are
being raised.  There are some exceptions though, for some components, where
a few people very actively triage and acknowledge new bug reports. I'd hate
to see this disappear. Therefore, I think it's important for people to be
able to continue to easily filter updates to bugs based on components
and/or keyword - so that the few that are currently motivated and perform a
lot of bug triage keep on doing so - by enabling a high signal-to-noise
ratio in github issue notifications for them.

I'm not sure if this is easy to do with github issues (I don't think I saw
ideal solutions being described in the thread above). Maybe getting all
notification emails from all bugs, and then being able to filter it
client-side based on keywords will work well enough, I don't know.
I don't have a strong feel on whether we should block migration on having
good enough notification filtering, but I'd like to encourage enabling good
enough filtering sooner rather than later.
I'm afraid I don't really have enough experience with github issues to know
what's possible with respect to client-side filtering.

Thanks,

Kristof