[llvm-dev] changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 18 17:14:15 PST 2019

That's interesting because I have always thought it strange to name members differently
from other variables.  I guess in my mind if a local variable isn't easily identified as such,
it's either declared much too far away from its use (the function is too large, is lacking
proper scoping, whatever) or it is not well-named such as to denote its use.  Note that
I specifically write, "denote its use" and not, "denote its scope."  Of course the poor
naming could go the other way; naming a member "i," for example.

I don't think I've ever come across a naming convention that treats function parameters
specially.  Why?  Arguably they are as different from locals as members are, particularly
when it comes to reference parameters.

Slapping an "m_" in front of poorly-named members isn't really going to help much, any
more than slapping an "l_" in front of local variables would.

That said, I am certainly open to being convinced otherwise.

                                               -David