[llvm-dev] LLD Build Improvements

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 26 00:23:27 PDT 2019

As Eric mentioned, lld is generally much faster than GNU linkers, so many
companies, especially ones that build large-scale programs (including
Google) have migrated to lld and saw a significant reduction in build time,
which improved developer productivity. So I'd say that large-scale program
development seem to improve the most from lld.

Other interesting area that seem to be benefited from lld is a bootloader
and other UEFI programs. UEFI programs are in COFF file format (which is
the same as Windows), and it was not easy to build a UEFI program in a
host-independent way. There was a hacky way to workaround: for example, you
can first build a UEFI program as an ELF program and transplant its text
and data segments to an empty COFF file using objcopy. Or, maybe you can
just use a Windows machine to link an UEFI program. lld solved the issue
because lld is a cross-linker. You can create COFF object files using
clang-cl and link the object files using lld/COFF to produce a UEFI program
in a very straightforward manner.