[llvm-dev] LLD Build Improvements

Shawn Webb via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 23 18:05:17 PDT 2019

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 07:47:10PM -0400, Nicholas Krause via llvm-dev wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I was wondering what projects seem to improve the most from lld as a linker.
> It s
>
> seems to mostly be browsers and games but if someone has something else
>
> I would be interested to hear what. The site doesn't really talk about what
>
> projects improve the most so I would be curious to hear what does and
>
> even if possible why.

If I may take a moment to shamelessly plug the open source project in
my signature, HardenedBSD.

HardenedBSD is an open source downstream derivative of FreeBSD. Our
primary goal is a clean-room re-implementation of the grsecurity
patchset, based solely on publicly-available documentation.

We love and adore PaX RAP. However, its having been covered by one or
more patents and (moreso) its requiring a GPLv3 toolchain is a
non-starter for an OS hoping to assist the efforts of certain members
of the FreeBSD project in migrating to a permissively-licensed
compiler toolchain.

HardenedBSD's future currently lies with the llvm compiler toolchain.
We already make use of non-Cross-DSO CFI and non-Cross-DSO SafeStack.
We are the first enterprise OS to ship with a base operating system
(and select third-party applications offered as binary packages or as
build-it-yourself collection of ports) userland applied with
non-Cross-DSO CFI and non-Cross-DSO SafeStack from the llvm toolchain.

Our next milestone will be Cross-DSO CFI. Tasking exists that are
shared among work porting both Cross-DSO CFI and Cross-DSO SafeStack
(for example, deep integration of the sanitizer framework into the RTLD
and into libc).

Having a basic userland tightly integrated, moving in lockstep, with
the kernel makes working on compiler toolchain-based features all the
more interesting: you get to see your work applied to an entire corpus
at once. No need to hack things together: it's all integrated in a
developer-friendly fashion.

HardenedBSD's future is currently tied to the continued success of the
llvm compiler toolchain. And I'm okay with that. :)

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer

Tor-ified Signal:    +1 443-546-8752
Tor+XMPP+OTR:        lattera at is.a.hacker.sx
GPG Key ID:          0xFF2E67A277F8E1FA
GPG Key Fingerprint: D206 BB45 15E0 9C49 0CF9  3633 C85B 0AF8 AB23 0FB2