[llvm-dev] LLVM_CONFIG_PATH when building Clang from sources

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 19 09:00:50 PST 2018

On 11/17/2018 04:30 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

>>> If I understand correctly, what you are doing with --strip-components is to
>>> merge the the source trees into a single directory.  This won't work.  You
>>> need to keep each project in its own directory and lay them out in a specific
>>> way.  You should review the getting started guide here:
>>> https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#getting-started-quickly-a-summary
>>
>> Thanks Tom.
>>
>> Yeah, that's what I am doing.
>>
>> Does LLVM have a script ready that does all of this? There's no reason
>> for me and other dev's to waste time on this.
>
> The script at https://github.com/noloader/build-llvm is doing pretty
> good, but I can't seem to shake the missing __thread_local_data()
> function. It causes failures on X6, Aarch64 and PowerPC (perhaps
> others).
>
> All the configurations I have tried end up dying like described at
> https://stackoverflow.com/q/53356172/608639.
>
> The guide at https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html does not appear
> to have a procedure that avoids the failure. The FAQ at
> https://llvm.org/docs/FAQ.html doe snot discuss the missing symbol,
> either.
>
> What is the trick to get things to compile?

You can try using the utils/release/test-release.sh script.  This is what
release testers use to build and package the binaries.  It does a lot
of extra stuff that you probably don't need, like staged compiler builds,
but it's a good reference to see if the standard configuration works on your
system.

I also noticed that you have a script for building cmake, what OS are you using
that doesn't have cmake3?

-Tom