[llvm-dev] LLVM_CONFIG_PATH when building Clang from sources

Jeffrey Walton via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 17 16:30:31 PST 2018

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 1:10 AM Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 1:02 AM Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The script is available at
> > > https://github.com/noloader/build-llvm/blob/master/build-llvm.sh
> >
> > If I understand correctly, what you are doing with --strip-components is to
> > merge the the source trees into a single directory.  This won't work.  You
> > need to keep each project in its own directory and lay them out in a specific
> > way.  You should review the getting started guide here:
> > https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#getting-started-quickly-a-summary
>
> Thanks Tom.
>
> Yeah, that's what I am doing.
>
> Does LLVM have a script ready that does all of this? There's no reason
> for me and other dev's to waste time on this.

The script at https://github.com/noloader/build-llvm is doing pretty
good, but I can't seem to shake the missing __thread_local_data()
function. It causes failures on X6, Aarch64 and PowerPC (perhaps
others).

All the configurations I have tried end up dying like described at
https://stackoverflow.com/q/53356172/608639.

The guide at https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html does not appear
to have a procedure that avoids the failure. The FAQ at
https://llvm.org/docs/FAQ.html doe snot discuss the missing symbol,
either.

What is the trick to get things to compile?

Jeff