[llvm-dev] [DebugInfo][DWARFv5] should -gdwarf-5 imply usage of .debug_names?

Victor Leschuk via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 17 05:59:52 PST 2017

Hello all,

I am implementing support for .debug_names section (which is introduced
in DWARFv5 standard as replacement for .debug_pubnames and
.debug_pubtypes). The question is: should usage of DWARF version 5 force
generation of .debug_names instead of .debug_pubnames or we can make it
just default behavior and provide user with the interface (cmd switch)
to use other DWARFv5 features but generate old .debug_pubnames and
.debug_pubtypes? The thing is that there can be potential DWARF consumer
which doesn't fully support new standard. When we are talking about
attributes, etc it will just cause warnings, but unknown section is much
more serious issue.

--
Best Regards,
Victor