[llvm-dev] [DebugInfo][DWARFv5] should -gdwarf-5 imply usage of .debug_names?

Eric Christopher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 17 10:34:04 PST 2017

Hi Victor,

In my opinion all of accelerated access (pubnames, pubtypes, all of the
accelerator tables) should be optionally emitted, including the new
debug_names work. Basically we should let users produce the type of table
based on the consumer of the data rather than anything else - and default
to nothing because the tables are, as you gathered, rather consumer
specific.

Right now, as far as I know, no debugger implements the version of
debug_names recently standardized so there's an additional point to avoid
using it for now.

-eric