[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 11 14:01:48 PDT 2016

On 11 October 2016 at 21:46, Michael Kuperstein <mkuper at google.com> wrote:
> (This is probably not a good enough reason to keep GCC 4.7 support, but it
> apparently is for GCC 4.8).

4.8 is the oldest shipped version on many stable LTS Linux and BSD
releases. Simple as that. :)

Upgrading to 4.9 or later will not be possible any time soon, due to
multiple bugs we're finding and fixing on newer versions of libstdc++,
glibc, binutils that is bundled with them.

So I am, and will be relying on 4.8 for the next year or so, and so
will many other people in the community (some more than a year).

cheers,
--renato