[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Ed Maste via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 11 14:25:59 PDT 2016

On 11 October 2016 at 16:46, Michael Kuperstein via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> To the best of my understanding - because we want to be able to bootstrap
> clang with the system compiler that ships with various linux and BSD
> distributions.
> Windows has no equivalent concept.
>
> (This is probably not a good enough reason to keep GCC 4.7 support, but it
> apparently is for GCC 4.8).

Also, as of January 1 2017 FreeBSD will have Clang 3.4.1 or newer as
the system compiler on all supported tier-1 architectures. I'm not
sure what other open source operating systems or distributions are
using Clang as their system compiler, but I suspect the same argument
for GCC 4.8 can be made for Clang 3.4 as a minimum.