[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 6 13:30:38 PDT 2016

Hi Chandler, Renato,

> For what it's worth it's definitely the line that caused me the most
> > concern. In the least charitable reading it could be seen as applying
> "LLVM
> > community standards" to contributors' private lives, which would be a big
> > departure from our current culture.

> Indeed, a very good point. The biggest argument is that the code is
> not trying to change our culture and that definitely goes against it.

Yep. I'm applying modus tollens here: This (uncharitable) interpretation
would imply a departure from existing standards. The CoC explicitly states
that it does not intend to depart from existing standards. Therefore, this
interpretation is not the intended one.

"In addition, violations of this code outside these spaces may, in rare
> cases, affect a person's ability to participate within them."

I like the clear implication that the bar is different for outside spaces -
I am mildly in favor of this. I'm ok with the existing wording too though,
because I think you're right that the community has the maturity needed to
navigate these issues if they come up. I also think the reporting process
that the proposed CoC puts in place would be a great circuit breaker to
prevent things going downhill as they did in
https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941 .

Cheers,
Lang.