[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 6 10:43:50 PDT 2016

On 05/06/2016 09:02 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev wrote:
>>> Say what you want about the Linux kernel community, but you can't
>>> call
>>> it immature. You can call the behaviour of some of its people
>>> immature, but the community itself is not by a long shot.
>> But there are reasonable people who will not interact with that community because they find that community's acceptance of offensive behavior unacceptable. I certainly don't want to see that happen here.
> That cuts both ways. I have in the past posted in my facebook account
> articles from the onion that some people would consider offensive. If
> you don't like it, don't read the onion or be friends with me on
> facebook.
>
> I have been working on llvm since 2006 and according to the code of
> conduct I would now be liable to being banned from working on llvm
> because of sharing a satirical news.
I think it's fair to say everyone involved in this discussion would find
that a ridiculous conclusion.  I personally am not too worried by the
current wording, but are there particular changes which would set your
mind at ease?  Several folks have raised concerns about the section
which reads "In addition, violations of this code outside these spaces
may affect a person's ability to participate within them."  Is that the
one that gives you pause?   Or is there more? Pointing to specific
pieces of wording would be really helpful here.

FYI, several folks have expressed specific concern about that particular
wording.  If we can find wording which rephrases that to address the
concern while retaining the intent, that seems like an obvious thing to
fix.