[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 07:50:12 PDT 2016

On 5 May 2016 at 15:41, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
> I'd strongly prefer that we have a "no public profanity" policy here. The fact that this community maintains a professional decorum is essential to being able to treat community interaction as an expected part of LLVM-related work activities. Otherwise, to name one problem, such expectations might run afoul of laws and regulations governing the workplace environment. Yes, some profanity is benign, but I see no definitive way to draw that line, and frankly, there are no situations where it is required.

I think you're going to find that hard to enforce, though. Barring
bots on IRC banning people that talk about some types of birds in the
UK, there isn't much to do with so many cultural backgrounds and word
meanings around the world. It's really hard to get the balance right,
and all who tried, have erred in the side of being too restrictive and
silly.

I have teenager kids at home and I manage their compulsory proxy
server. Believe me, I know how hard it is and I haven't got it right
yet. :)

I personally find a swearing-free derogatory phrase much worse than a
mild swear word of excitement on IRC.

Currently, we do get it right in the LLVM channels, and encoding that
will encourage people to start picking on people when they let it out
on the occasion, which is a much worse behaviour than mild swearing.

cheers,
--renato