[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 07:41:28 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

I'd strongly prefer that we have a "no public profanity" policy here. The fact that this community maintains a professional decorum is essential to being able to treat community interaction as an expected part of LLVM-related work activities. Otherwise, to name one problem, such expectations might run afoul of laws and regulations governing the workplace environment. Yes, some profanity is benign, but I see no definitive way to draw that line, and frankly, there are no situations where it is required.

 -Hal

> Now, encoding this in the CoC is the hard part...
>

> > In the world there exists arbitrators/moderators - Why not define a
> > couple of "adults" who have demonstrated a history of strong and
> > reasonable character. People who can defuse situations and
> > basically
> > be the guy which "we" trust to make good decisions. Elect 3 -
> > something pops up... we go to them to make a decision or help fix
> > stuff. It's low volume so shouldn't be a burden.. they would likely
> > help out anyway..
>
> That's another point I had forgotten.
>
> I don't think the people in this committee should be nominated, but
> voted. This is more than just the LLVM Foundation doing stuff on the
> side, this is out whole community, of which the foundation is only
> part of.
>
> I feel very strongly about that, even if I trust the people that get
> nominated. Others might not, and that'd be against the very code
> we're
> trying to uphold.
>
> cheers,
> --renato