[llvm-dev] How to traverse llvm DAG for analysis

John Criswell via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 27 08:36:26 PDT 2016

Dear Raul,

Instruction selection and instruction scheduling is, to the best of my
knowledge, done at the MachineInstr (MI) IR level.  The documentation
you've read is on the target independent LLVM IR.

You will probably need to read the documentation on LLVM's code
generator.  The documents on Writing an LLVM Backend, the LLVM Target
Independent Code Generator, and Machine IR Format Reference Manual is
probably what you need to read if you want to work with the SelectionDAG
and the machine code that is generated by LLVM during code generation.

If you just want to analyze LLVM IR, then all the virtual register
values are in SSA form and therefore have explicit def-use chains over
which you can iterate (see the LLVM Programmer's Guide).  If you want a
DAG for memory dependencies, then you should send a follow-up email to
the list as that is its own whole topic.

Regards,

John Criswell

On 6/27/16 10:03 AM, Raul Garcia via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like your help to learn how to traverse an LLVM DAG and
> perform some analysis. I know that llc can be used to view a DAG, but
> I would like to manipulate them. In particular I'm interested in the
> instruction selection and the scheduling DAGs.
>
> I have read the documentation about writing an analysis pass and I
> know how to traverse a basic block on a LLVM IR assembly file, but I
> don't know how to do the same for a scheduled DAG.
>
> Could you tell me:
>
> -How are the DAGs generated? Where is the source code that implement
> this functionality?
> -Is there an example to traverse a DAG with selected/scheduled
> instructions?
>

> Regards,
> Raul.

John Criswell
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell