[llvm-dev] Suggestion to Stop Cross Posting Discussions

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 5 12:43:01 PDT 2016

On 5 July 2016 at 19:51, John Criswell via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> This is becoming a headache for me (and possibly other mailing list admins)
> because replies are often sent to every list, but not all users are
> subscribed to every list.  As a result, we're moderating messages for people
> because they're subscribed to llvm-dev but not openmp-dev, or they are on
> cfe-dev but not llvm-dev, etc.

Hi John,

Apologies for creating this problem, but as you said, not everyone
subscribes to llvm-dev, but for that kind of discussion, we really
should get *everyone's* input.

Moving to a new list (ex. llvm-foundation, llvm-admin, etc) won't get
everyone's attention by a long shot, and managing multiple lists could
increase potential problems to list admins, so the only way out I can
see is to just "expect people interested in the status of LLVM as a
project to subscribe to llvm-dev".

I'm happy with that solution, but maybe we need to change some
documentation in Clang, LLDB, LLD, libraries etc. to make sure that
this is clear to all their users that wouldn't subscribe to llvm-dev
otherwise.

cheers,
--renato