[llvm-dev] Suggestion to Stop Cross Posting Discussions

C Bergström via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 11 16:06:22 PDT 2016

ffs - Would /you/ (more than 1) stop bikesheding everything to death and
just agree that a developer list should be for development only issues. Go
make noise on -commits

WE NEED YET ANOTHER MAILING LIST TO LET THESE LONG "ALT" DISCUSSIONS ONLY
IMPACT THE PEOPLE WHO CARE.

At this time - I have no mechanism to filter non-developer stuff.

If adding another list causes you great pain and suffering, maybe the
middle ground could be a hard enforcement of tagging the subject.

Any of the following may be appropriate:
[SPAM]
[INFRA]
[TROLLBAIT]
[BIKESHED]
like top posting, trimming your post and actually treating everyone on the
like you would family. That's ideally how things should be. One big happy
family. Do one thing and do it well. The -dev list isn't a catch-all just
because it has the biggest impact for whatever trollbait of the day.

Outside of crying, has anyone raised a valid point against creating a
specialized list for -alt or -infra topics? Anyone who would want to vote
on project level impacting issues is free to subscribe there. Anyone not
subscribed would be equivalent to not registering to vote. (Thus I don't
see how it's a valid concern - it's not like the proposed list would be
private)