[llvm-dev] Any details I should know before trying to build on OS X Snow Leopard (Darwin 10) ?

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 4 03:30:51 PDT 2016

I'm not aware of any difficulty with an older OS such as 10.6.8 as such,
but there is a pretty fundamental thing that recent Clang/LLVM source code
uses features from C++11, which the existing compiler on a 10.6.8 machine
won't support.

Clang 3.4 supports C++11, but does not require it.
Clang 3.5 and later requires a C++11 compiler.

A quick internet search suggests that you can build Clang 3.4 with the
system compiler on 10.6.8.

Once you have a working Clang 3.4 you can build later Clang versions. I'm
not 100% sure whether 3.4 implements C++11 sufficiently bug free to compile
Clang 3.8.

You could also of course look at installing/building a more recent gcc to
build recent Clang with. Gcc 4.9 is the first version that does not label
C++11 support as experimental.