[llvm-dev] [RFC] design doc for straight-line scalar optimizations

Jingyue Wu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 24 11:10:55 PDT 2015

Hi,

As you may have noticed, since last year, we (Google's CUDA compiler team)
have contributed quite a lot to the effort of optimizing LLVM for CUDA
programs. I think it's worthwhile to write some docs to wrap them up for
two reasons.
1) Whoever wants to understand or work on these optimizations has some
detailed docs instead of just source code to refer to.
2) RFC on how to improve these optimizations so that other targets can
benefit from them as well. They are currently mostly restricted to the
NVPTX backend, but I see many potentials to generalize them.

So, I started from this overdue design doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1momWzKFf4D6h8H3YlfgKQ3qeZy5ayvMRh6yR-Xn2hUE/edit?usp=sharing>
on the
straight-line scalar optimizations. I will send out more docs on other
optimizations later. Please feel free to comment.

Thanks,
Jingyue