[LLVMdev] [RFC] Resurrecting the C back-end

Philipp Klaus Krause pkk at spth.de
Tue Aug 28 18:29:15 PDT 2012

On 28.08.2012 15:20, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
> On 27.08.2012 22:56, Roel Jordans wrote:
>

>> Anyway, that brings to my final question: Which features are
>> critical/important/wanted/unwanted for a C back-end?
>>

> I'd like it to be easy to configure (e.g. to tell which size int is
> assumed to have).
>
> I'd prefer the resulting code to not rely on implementation-defined
> behaviour (e.g. not make any assumptions about the size of int).

Ok, Cameron showed me that this one isn't possible with LLVM.

> I'd like the resulting code to containe a lot of (use of data types,
> keywords such as cost and restrict) that can be used to generate
> optimized code.

Here's my use-case: I would use LLVM as a kind of language and
optimization frontend, and use the free sdcc compiler (which has
excellent machine-specific optimization, but is somewhat lacking in
machine-independent optimization) as a backend.

Philipp