[LLVMdev] [RFC] Resurrecting the C back-end

Philipp Klaus Krause pkk at spth.de
Mon Aug 27 23:20:57 PDT 2012

On 27.08.2012 22:56, Roel Jordans wrote:

> Anyway, that brings to my final question: Which features are
> critical/important/wanted/unwanted for a C back-end?

I'd like it to be easy to configure (e.g. to tell which size int is
assumed to have).

I'd prefer the resulting code to not rely on implementation-defined
behaviour (e.g. not make any assumptions about the size of int).

I'd like the resulting code to containe a lot of (use of data types,
keywords such as cost and restrict) that can be used to generate
optimized code.

As an example, assume I feed some code that uses an int variable into
LLVM. LLVM finds that the value of the variable is assigned only once,
and has a value in the range between 4 and 212. Then the corresponding
variable in the output could be a const uint_fast8_t.

Philipp