[LLVMdev] Exception Handling Proposal, Second round Re: LLVMdev Digest, Vol 83, Issue 30

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Wed May 18 09:27:58 PDT 2011

On May 18, 2011, at 8:35 AM, Peter Lawrence wrote:

> Renato,
>                I agree with what Andrew said, but would have worded it differently. All optimizers (that
> I am aware of) require explicit control flow, so things like exception-throwing-divide-instructions
> need to be converted into IR that are Block-Terminators.  Andrew was explaining how this is
> a non-performance issue in practice, I am explaining how this is a requirement of how optimizer
> are implemented in practice.
>
> -Peter Lawrence.

Thanks for the clarification, Peter. I was trying to convey two main points:
1) Optimizers require explicit control flow, which is not a limitation because it's easy to optimize across branches (calls and merges are hard to handle).
2) Codegen can convert control flow to trapping instructions, but it's seldom worthwhile.

-Andy