[LLVMdev] Confusion with a Use of a getelementptr instruction being a Use of a select instruction instead

Griffin Wright gwright215 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:06:29 PDT 2011

Hello,

I'm doing some Def/Use analysis, and I'm hung up on one tricky spot.  The BB
in question is attached.  Ignore the red.

The issue is that '%13 = load...' instruction does not show up as a Use for
the '%scevgep25' definition, and I feel like it should.  Instead, it shows
up as a Use for '%iftmp.55.0 = select...', though Operand(0) for this '%13 =
load' instruction [listed as a Use for '%iftmp.55.0 = select...'] is
reported as the %scevgep25 instruction, which is correct.

Sorry if that was a bit convoluted.  Essentially, it seems that
'getelementptr' instructions with their Use's instructions being (direct or
indirect)operands to 'select' instructions have their Uses show up as Uses
for the select only and not for the getelementptr instruction.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?  All the other
def/use information I get seems correct.

Thanks,
Griffin