[LLVMdev] Confusion with a Use of a getelementptr instruction being a Use of a select instruction instead

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 7 10:06:33 PDT 2011

On 7/6/11 2:06 PM, Griffin Wright wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm doing some Def/Use analysis, and I'm hung up on one tricky spot.
> The BB in question is attached.  Ignore the red.
>
> The issue is that '%13 = load...' instruction does not show up as a
> Use for the '%scevgep25' definition, and I feel like it should.
> Instead, it shows up as a Use for '%iftmp.55.0 = select...', though
> Operand(0) for this '%13 = load' instruction [listed as a Use for
> '%iftmp.55.0 = select...'] is reported as the %scevgep25 instruction,
> which is correct.

I'm not understanding all of the details of the behavior you're
describing, but I agree that the %13 load should be a use of %scevgep25
and that the select is a use of %14 and %15.

How are you iterating over the uses of %scevgep25?  Are you removing or
inserting instructions while iterating over the uses, thereby
potentially invalidating the use_iterator?  Invalidating the
use_iterator would be my first guess.

-- John T.