[LLVMdev] LLVM ARM for shipped products?

Bob Wilson bob.wilson at apple.com
Fri Apr 17 11:51:55 PDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 7:08 AM, Simple One wrote:

> I have been following the recent posts regarding LLVM ARM backend on
> the list. I am trying to figure out if I should start using LLVM to
> compile my project or if I should just stick with cross compilers
> like those provided by Code Sourcery and wait till a later time. I
> have the following questions in this regard:
>
> 1. Can some one tell me if LLVM ARM is being used by anyone to
> compile any shipped products? If so,
>      a) how are you getting by despite the apparent bugs that exist (http://llvm.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=ARM
> )?
>      b) do you build LLVM natively on your ARM platform or do you
> build it as a cross compiler?
>
> 2. I have heard "rumors" that Apple uses LLVM to compile code
> shipped on iPhone. Is that correct? If so, can someone tell me
> whether they use the sources available in the svn tree or do they
> add customized passes that plug-in to the LLVM infrastructure?
> Again, is the compiler used native or a cross compiler?
>
> Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences.

I can't comment on how Apple uses LLVM, but we are actively working to
improve the quality of the ARM backend.  If you can try out using LLVM
to compile your project, it would be really great to hear your
feedback.  We'll find and fix the bugs more quickly if more people try
it out and report any problems.

You didn't say what kind of ARM platform you are working on, so I
don't know if it is feasible for you to run a native LLVM.  Cross-
compiling should also work and is probably the easiest thing to try.

I've only been working on this project for a short time, so I'm not
yet familiar with all the ARM-related bugs in the database.  If there
are particular ones that are preventing you from using LLVM, let me
know and I'll see if I can do anything about them.  Thanks!