[LLVMdev] LLVM ARM for shipped products?

Simple One open.address at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 07:08:39 PDT 2009

I have been following the recent posts regarding LLVM ARM backend on the
list. I am trying to figure out if I should start using LLVM to compile my
project or if I should just stick with cross compilers like those provided
by Code Sourcery and wait till a later time. I have the following questions
in this regard:

1. Can some one tell me if LLVM ARM is being used by anyone to compile any
shipped products? If so,
     a) how are you getting by despite the apparent bugs that exist (
http://llvm.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=ARM)?
     b) do you build LLVM natively on your ARM platform or do you build it
as a cross compiler?

2. I have heard "rumors" that Apple uses LLVM to compile code shipped on
iPhone. Is that correct? If so, can someone tell me whether they use the
sources available in the svn tree or do they add customized passes that
plug-in to the LLVM infrastructure? Again, is the compiler used native or a
cross compiler?

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences.

SO