[LLVMdev] LLVM ARM for shipped products?

Robert Schuster theBohemian at gmx.net
Fri Apr 17 13:39:04 PDT 2009

Hi,

Simple One schrieb:
> 1. Can some one tell me if LLVM ARM is being used by anyone to compile
> any shipped products? If so,
>      a) how are you getting by despite the apparent bugs that exist
> (http://llvm.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=ARM)?
I want to use llvm inside OpenJDK's runtime hotspot for which a variant
exists that uses llvm as a JIT compiler backend. Unfortunately the
outstanding issues of the ARM backend in llvm make it crash often and
not suitable for any real work.

Some details here:
http://rschuster.blogs.evolvis.org/2009/03/27/shark-bites-arm/

>      b) do you build LLVM natively on your ARM platform or do you build
> it as a cross compiler?
I am maintaining a so-called build recipe for the OpenEmbedded project.
LLVM is cross-compiled in this build environment. I have also filed some
PRs against llvm in order to fix the most pressing issues with the new
cmake based build system. As it looks now most of these things are fixed
now and I am looking forward to need no special patches any more when
llvm 2.6 is released.

> 2. I have heard "rumors" that Apple uses LLVM to compile code shipped on
> iPhone. Is that correct? If so, can someone tell me whether they use the
> sources available in the svn tree or do they add customized passes that
> plug-in to the LLVM infrastructure? Again, is the compiler used native
> or a cross compiler?
No idea about this.

Regards
Robert