[LLVMdev] "deserialize primitive type 16 (vers=0, pos=15)" with Visual Studio

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Wed Mar 28 13:01:18 PDT 2007

Seung Jae Lee wrote:
> I followed the steps in "Getting Started with the LLVM System using Microsoft Visual Studio" in the document in LLVM page.
>
> I made hello.c file exactly same shown in the page.
> I made hello.bc on UNIX and transferred it to my Windows computer.
> And I typed "llc -march=c hello.bc"
> (Of course, I downloaded the latest version of LLVM and compiled with VS before this.)
> But my command prompt can't run this with the following statement.
>
> llc: bytecode didn't read correctly
> Reason: Don't know how to deserialize primitive type 16 (vers=0, pos=15)
>
> Hmmmm... Is there any body having been exposed to this?
>
> Thanks,
> Seung Jae Lee

Assuming that you are using the same version of LLVM on both Windows and
Unix, the most likely explanation is that you transfered the file
hello.bc as a text file instead of a binary file.

Note that the last time I tried this, it no longer works.  There are gcc
runtime dependencies in the generated C code that will not link with VC++.